The first project we did back in June. It involved the floors on the first floor. There was wall-to-wall carpet in the living and dining room. They needed to go. This is what it looked like when we bought the house:
Not cute. Neither room screams dining/living room either. Luckily for us, there were hardwood floors UNDERNEATH the carpet. So all we had to do was pull it up. Carpets BE GONE:
We rented a sanding machine. Those are large – a little lower than your chest – and powerful. Jim did most of the sanding while I was at work one day. I helped when I got home but was terrified while using the sanding machine. It moves on its own and is like trying to control a wild animal. Needless to say, Jim used that more than me. We also bought a hand-held sander for corners and hard to reach places. This is how the floors looked after sanding:
The next step was to stain the floors. We picked out a cherry-colored stain and Jim got to work. There was a mishap with soaking up the stain in-between coats that involved stained sneakers and then stained socks. After a day to let the stain set-in and dry, Jim completed the finish. That went smoothly. A few days of hard work led to this:
It was totally worth it. We now have pretty wood floors when you first enter our house. Our first project was a success. It gave us a taste for more.