RSS Feed

Ice (line) Ice (line) baby….

Posted on

With the electrical done, we felt like we were really on a roll.  Before we knew it drywall would be up and we could add the cabinets.  There were just a few more things we needed to do before drywall.  We decided to make a list of what we had left to do.  Turns out that list was a lot longer than we realized. All the little things sure do add up!

One of the “little” things involved the refrigerator ice line. When we decided to move the location of the refrigerator, I was not aware that this would require moving a cooper tube sticking up through the floor as well.  The refrigerator ice line provides water to the refrigerator so that it can make ice and dispense water (who knew?!).  We were only moving the location of our refrigerator about 10 feet, so moving the line should be easy-peasy…right?

Our first step involved removing the line from its current location. With Jim in the basement pulling one end, I stood in the kitchen pushing the other end. Within a few minutes – the refrigerator line was out!  That was the easy part.

Next, we needed to figure out if the current line was long enough to reach the new location. Even though it is called an ice “line,” it is by no means straight.  A cooper tube is somewhat pliable, but it was curved and bent throughout all 30+ feet of it.  We managed to get a general idea of its length by measuring it two feet at a time. With the additional length of a water filter attachment, the tube would reach the new location.  Phew.

The location of the new refrigerator is above one of the rooms in the basement. Unfortunately, that room is not the laundry room (where the tube needs to connect to the water supply) but instead the room next to the laundry room. There are three light fixtures in that room – two of those light fixtures were below the refrigerator’s location. The first plan was to drill a hole vertically down from the floor/wall upstairs. Then coming from the light fixture, we would drill a hole horizontally. The holes would meet. Then we would feed the cooper tube into the hole from upstairs and curve it so that it would come out of the light fixture. Are you following this? If you aren’t – that’s ok, it didn’t work. The cooper tube was not catching on the second hole so we could not lead it into the light fixture. We tried a few different methods, but it just wasn’t happening.  If only there was a hole in the ceiling where the vertical hole came out we wouldn’t have to worry about bending the tube.

So we made a hole in the ceiling. We haven’t been using the basement for anything other than storage right now, so I figured I could live with one hole in the ceiling for now. It wasn’t my top choice, but our options were limited. Jim cut the hole in the ceiling and voila – the cooper tube was there!  Next, we needed to lead the tube straight for a few feet before turning it again.  (I tried to add a layout so you could get an idea of the twists and turns but the upload wasn’t working – use your imagination.)

Hole next to light fixture hole

As previously stated, the cooper tube doesn’t bend all that easily. Therefore, working in two turns in the tube while also feeding it in between the ceiling and floor proved to be challenging. As we reached the second turning point, we quickly realized there was no easy way for us to turn the tube.  After a few different approaches, one of us dejectedly stated the obvious – we needed another hole in the ceiling. Jim got to cutting.

Hole #2

With the second hole, things started to go pretty well.  We had the tube turned at the two spots it needed to be turned and we continued to feed it in between the ceiling and floor towards the water supply. After a lot of progress, we hit another stopping point. The cooper tube was getting stuck between the 2 x 4’s on its way to the water supply. From the view in the laundry room, we could see this happening, but there was nothing we could do to stop it.  We tried lifting it higher to push it through, but alas, gravity worked against us every time. Frustration and muscle strain started to sink in. There was only one solution; another hole in the ceiling.

Hole #3...sigh

Looks like the third hole is the charm! After we cut the third hole in the ceiling, we were able to get the cooper tube over the 2 x 4’s and into the laundry room.  Success!  We attached the water filter and cooper tube was long enough.  Unfortuntely, we still had some trial an error with making sure there were no leaks. First there was some leaking where the water filter attached – Jim luckily was able to fix that solution. Then we added a valve in the kitchen that the cooper tube connects. (This looks a lot better than the tube coming out of the wall, like how the previous owners had it). There were a few leaks while attaching the valve, but Jim’s super strength resolved it. One more step done….so many more to go.

The cooper tube coming into the laundry room - yay!

Filter connecting the cooper tube

Cooper tube into the kitchen and the valve!

4 responses »

  1. Very nice looking holes, actually. Such straight edges:)

    Reply
  2. You guys are so impressive! I could never do any of this in a million years. I can’t wait to see it when it’s all finished; it’s going to look gorgeous!

    Reply
  3. Pingback: “If You Got Problems, Yo I’ll Solve It…” « Maibe We're Crazy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: