The summer has come and gone and I have not updated my loyal blog readers once. I’m sorry for the lack of updates. From weddings to weekend trips to just being a little lazier over the summer, I was not ready to post a new entry. We also got so close to finishing the bathroom that I did not want to do an update until I was ready to do the big reveal with before and after shots. Last weekend, we finally finished the last bit of the master bathroom.
Before getting to the bathroom – there were some minor house improvements we did during the summer as well. One involved overgrown ivy. This ivy took over our backyard fence and neighbors fence. We kept looking at it and thinking, “we should do something about that.” Finally, in August, I got the hedge shears and went to work. I would have gotten it all done in one day, but there were flowers on this ivy (maybe not actually ivy?) and there were a lot of wasps LOVING the flowers. So I got about 75% of the way done and had to stop in fear of being stung to death. The next day it was drizzling and I decided it was my best time to attack the rest. I finished destroying the vines and we have a fence again! Another small project was adding solar-powered lights along the front walkway up to the house. I just had to measure out the locations and put in the lights. Easy-peasy. I love the new look too.
Now – back to the bathroom. Since the last post, we have done a lot of little changes to the bathroom. Most of them were uneventful, such as adding a toilet paper roll holder, a hand towel rack, a new landing strip and new blinds. We fixed up the walls that were destroyed when putting the sink counter top in place and touched up the paint. Jim put silicone along the edges of the shower, the toilet base, and the sink. We added a new vent cover and sealed the granite counter top. We put the handles on the vanity in the bathroom and added the holder for the hand sprayer in the shower. The shower door was also installed which really made the bathroom really come together. None of these would have made for very exciting blog posts, but were necessary for us to finish off the bathroom.
The biggest project we did over the summer was adding backsplash above the sink. Jim did most of it himself because it is such a small space in the bathroom. In an attempt to make this an easier tiling experience, Jim bought tile adhesive sheets instead of mortar. These are basically sheets of adhesive material that you up on the tile and then they stick on the wall. This saves the step of mixing the mortar and fighting gravity to put it on the wall. You also don’t need to wait for it to dry. The only problem ended up being that the adhesive was SUPER sticky. Overall, this is good because that means the tiles will not fall off of the wall once put in place, but it also that meant you basically can’t make an error. As soon as the tile was down, it was stuck. Jim made an error that resulted in pulling part of the drywall off in order to remove the tile. He learned his lesson and made no more errors. He also bought already made grout to save some time as well. This ended up being very hard to get off the tile (its only supposed to be in the joints). Overall, the “time savers” didn’t save us much time. It is unlikely we would use instant grout again. Now that we learned of the stickiness of the adhesive sheets, we might still use those for small tiling projects like a back splash, but never for anything big. Once the backsplash was complete, the sink area looked awesome. We picked blue tiles to add some color to the bathroom.
Another small project we did was add tiling and grout to a thin area by the window. It lines the shower. We needed to do this because the window was not installed straight. Therefore, when we put the shower tiles in place and straightened them, them covered a little bit of the window. So Jim thought of the idea of putting thin tile along the window to fix the problem. It worked perfectly and one would never guess the problem we had with our crooked window.
The last project in the bathroom had to do with the exhaust fan. The original bathroom did not have an exhaust fan. We already installed the exhaust fan and hooked up the electricity, but there was nothing for it to vent into. We needed to add a duct for the air to be sucked into and pushed out of the roof. This meant going on the roof and cutting a hole. Jim first went into the attic and drilled a nail through the roof so he would know where to cut the hole for the vent. Then we climbed out of the bathroom window onto the garage roof. We brought the tools and the ladder. At the peak of the garage roof, the ladder was able to be steadied and Jim climbed up onto the house’s roof. I stayed on the garage roof, held the ladder, and handed Jim tools as needed. Jim cut a hole in the roof the size of the vent. He lifted up the shingles around the hole so he could place the vent cover in place. Once everything was in place, Jim used roofing tar to seal everything. He did such an amazing job. I couldn’t believe how brave he was to even try installing this on his own. While we were on the roof, we also removed an ugly satellite dish left on the roof by the previous owners. Once everything was done, Jim had to go back into the attic one more time to attach the duct to the exhaust fan. With that attachment, the master bathroom was officially finished!
We have been enjoying using our brand new bathroom. The heated floors, timed exhaust fan, and shower with different sprayers have been the highlights of the bathroom for me. It is still on the small side, but it is the luxury side of small!
Time for before and after pictures: