This is a long overdue post. There were some reasons for my delay in posting, one was that we went on an amazing trip to Australia in April which took up a lot of that month. Then we had to wait a while before we got the right people in to spackle the drywall so it would be finished and seamless. It wasn’t until May before we really started making progress again…but now we’ve made a LOT of progress so we have a lot to catch up on.
Once the walls and ceiling were spackled, we were able to start painting. We needed to prime every, thing before painting, so it took some time. We pick a gray color for the main room and a yellowish white for the laundry room. After painting, we saw a lot of little areas that needed some retouching with the spackling. It took time to spackle all the areas, let it dry, sand it smooth and repaint. Once it was all done though, the rooms both turned out great.
After the painting, moulding needed to be added along the walls, door frames, and the post. This meant measuring each moulding exactly right, nailing it in place, covering the nails with spackle, and then painting the finished product. We plan to put moulding in the laundry room, but focused on the main room for now. Moulding also needed to be put along the stairs. This had to be custom-made for our custom-made steps. Jim took all the measurements and planned carefully for the mouldings. It came out perfectly. It fits snug up against the stairs and helps to finish the look.
We also needed to install the new door and door frame between the main room and the laundry room. This was not as easy as it should have been. When we would make one adjustment to line up the door, a corner would pop out or the door wouldn’t shut correctly. After a lot of frustration and tries, Jim was able to maneuver the door in a way that made it fit perfectly. After the door and moulding, Jim installed the staircase post (actually known as a newel). He needed to drill into the cement in order to securely attach the newel to the ground. He also secured the newel to the staircase using creative means. It is very sturdy and looks like it has always been there. Once the newel was in place, Jim added a finished board to the top of the half wall we cut out in the stairs. This helped finish the stairway as well as lays the foundation for stair posts and a railing. Some other finishing touches included putting new vent covers on the a/c vents and installing a new vent for the dryer.
The biggest update of all has to do with the floor. Half of the basement is going to be the gym area and the other half is going to be for lounging and hanging out. We decided to do different flooring for the two sections. The gym and laundry room would both have lament wood flooring while the lounging and stairway would have carpeting. On Memorial Day, we went to Lumber Liquidators and picked up some awesome flooring. That week, we started looking on getting it installed. The type of boards we bought were what is known as, “floating.” This means there is no nailing or gluing to install the floor boards. The boards “float” over the subfloor and connect to each other by interlocking the pieces. Before putting down the floor boards, we needed to put down a moisture barrier that would protect the floor boards from moisture and mold. We got a thicker kind that would also help even out the floor if there were any imperfections (like where we couldn’t get the old vinyl floor up in the laundry room. The moisture barrier went down pretty smoothly other than the fact that it rolled out the opposite direction it was supposed to be installed. We figured it out though and were ready to start the floors.
Jim decided to get the flooring done as soon as possible. I was going out-of-town for my niece’s first birthday, so Jim stayed home and did the floors solo. When I got home, I was amazed at how awesome it looked. He had started the flooring before I went out-of-town and was having some trouble with the boards interlocking straight. He got half of the gym floor done before undoing it all to make sure everything was interlocked perfectly so he wouldn’t have trouble later down the line. He figure out a method of using a laser from one of the levels to determine if the boards were straight. Although it was time-consuming, it worked and the floors turned out awesome. Jim needed to leave a space between the walls and the floor boards in order to allow for fluctuation in the size of the boards. To cover up that space, he added quarter moulding along the floors to give an extra finished look.
The main section of the basement is almost complete. We even mounted our new television and set up the new couch. Those pictures can wait for the big reveal.